In just a few shorts days, families in Anaheim, Irvine, Fullerton, Garden Grove, and all over Orange County, CA will celebrate Thanksgiving—it’ll soon be time for delicious turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie! After dinner, most people will probably pass out, watch football, or just spend time with their guests. Orange County plumbers, however, will be ready to tackle the host of plumbing problems that result from Turkey Day. The day after Thanksgiving happens to be the single busiest day of the year for plumbers.
Luckily, there are a few easy tips you can follow to prevent any major plumbing problems from happening—after all, clogged drain repair and possible garbage disposal repair are costly expenses you’ll want to avoid.
Simple Ways to Avoid Plumbing Problems & Catastrophes
Please follow these tips to avoid plumbing problems (and lighten the workload for Orange County’s plumbers!) this Turkey Day:
- Avoid putting fats or cooking oils down drains—they solidify in pipes, causing plumbing problems. Clogged drains can be avoided simply by wiping grease from pots with paper towels—just throw away the paper towels in your trash can.
- Do not put stringy, fibrous, or starchy waste in the garbage disposal—this is an easy way to avoid dealing with a garbage disposal repair. Food items that do not belong in the garbage disposal include celery, asparagus, potato skins, bone fragments, eggshells, banana peels, fats, popcorn kernels, onion skins, and fruit seeds.
- Be certain your garbage disposal is running when you put food into it—do not wait until it’s full to turn it on. This will help you avoid a costly garbage disposal repair.
- If you plan on having a large Turkey Day gathering at your home that extends into the weekend, kindly tell your guests to wait at least 15 minutes between subsequent showers. This gives slow drains some time to do their job, preventing plumbing problems.
- Politely tell your guests not to flush cotton balls, swabs, or facial pads down a toilet—it’ll lead to clogged drains.
These are standard tips you should follow all year round to avoid plumbing problems and catastrophes, but they are especially important for Turkey Day. It’s possible that even after following these tips, you’ll have some plumbing problems on your hands. Don’t worry—contact us online or call us. We’ll send a friendly, qualified, and experienced plumber your way.