Being a first time homeowner is a huge responsibility in various ways, but one responsibility we’d like to focus on is taking care of your plumbing. Even if you’ve had experience with systems like a garbage disposal or have worked to help family members patch up a leak or two, having to deal with it on your own is a huge game changer.
So, with that said, we want to help if you’re about to embark on a journey that includes owning your very first home; that’s why we’ve put together the following plumbing tips:
- If your kitchen is equipped with a garbage disposal, use it wisely. Foods like celery and remains such as banana peels and eggshells, for example, don’t belong down the drain.
- When dinner requires you to cook with fats, greases or oils, keep them away from your drain during the clean-up process. Though it may go down smoothly, these products can really take a toll on your pipes.
- Locate your shut-off valve when you have some extra time to look around. Should you ever have a major plumbing emergency, you’ll want to know where to go to turn off the water supply.
- Don’t use your toilet as a second garbage disposal. Toilet paper is the only item that should ever be flushed, so keep products like tissues and cotton balls out. Note: If you have children at home, keep the lid closed to avoid bath toys and other small objects from accidentally slipping in!
- Check to make sure that your gutters are working properly. Although they aren’t directly connected to your pipes, their primary function is to keep water out of the home, and if you have clogs in yours, this would be rather hard to do.
Most importantly, if you’re located in Orange County, California and are looking for a plumber in Anaheim or the surrounding areas to help you down the line, our number one tip is to place our phone number at the top of your contact list! At Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter, we offer same day service, upfront pricing and are available 24/7 to help you with all of your plumbing needs. For service, please call 714.630.8766 or 949.315.7878.