This Sunday, our state will host Super Bowl 50 and we couldn’t be more excited! But when the Carolina Panthers take on the Denver Broncos, we know that anyone who isn’t at the game will likely be hosting or attending some type of Super Bowl party or get together. As a result, some of your homes may be expecting a little more traffic than usual this weekend, which means your plumbing may be put to more work. Want to make sure it doesn’t act up? Here are five tips you can follow:
- Do not – we repeat, do not – overload your garbage disposal or place the wrong items in it. If you’ll be serving classic game day foods like wings with celery on the side, remember that stringy vegetables and bone fragments are super harmful to your system.
- Make sure there are garbage bins in your bathroom so that guests aren’t encouraged to flush anything other than toilet paper. Did you know that more toilets are flushed during the Super Bowl’s halftime than any other time of the year? That means you need to do everything you can to keep random objects out of your toilet!
- If anything you are cooking leaves you with grease, do not pour it down the drain. Instead, transfer the grease into a sealed container and place it in the freezer or fridge. Once it’s frozen, you can toss it out with your everyday trash.
- Speaking of grease, any plates, pots or pans with grease on it should be wiped down before you stick it in the sink or the dishwasher. This will prevent too much of it from winding up in your pipes, even if you didn’t pour it down the drain directly.
- Should your drains start to slow down, avoid using a chemical drain cleaner and schedule a professional drain cleaning instead. Although these can provide temporary relief, they can actually eat away at your pipes and cause further damage. So, instead of trying to fix it yourself, direct guests to a different sink and make an appointment with us.
We’re sure you won’t want to miss any of Cam Newton or Peyton Manning’s plays, so don’t forget to keep the above in mind as you and your guests start to huddle around the TV. But if you should experience a plumbing problem this weekend, know that we’re available 24/7 for emergency service – just call 714.630.8766.