The day we have been waiting for is finally here – Earth Day! This past week, we’ve shared some of our favorite tips on how you can go green in general as well as through your plumbing, and today, we’d like to complete our week of Earth Day celebrations by sharing how you can conserve water – did you know that there are more than 100 ways to do so? Here’s what we recommend:
- Collect the excess water that you use when letting the shower warm up or when rinsing off food and use it around the house to water indoor and outdoor plants.
- Always adjust the water level on your washing machine to match the size of the load you are doing at the time.
- Since full bathtubs typically require up to 70 gallons of water, choose a shower instead.
- Time yourself in the shower and see if you can cut back by a few minutes moving forward.
- Turn the water off when brushing your teeth – this can save up to 4 gallons per minute!
- Choose low-flow toilets and shower heads for your bathroom.
- Reuse towels both at home and when traveling/staying at a hotel.
- Don’t overwater your lawn and water at optimal times.
- Use a broom to clean your patio, sidewalk, driveway and walkway instead of a hose.
- If you have a pool, don’t overfill it – the lower your water level, the less amount of water that will be lost as a result of splashing.
It may seem like a lot, but the truth is that all of the habitual changes you may need to make to save water are actually pretty simple! What will you start to do to use less water in your home?
From all of us at Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter, we’d like to wish you a very happy Earth Day! To learn about our initiatives to go green, please give us a call at 714.630.8766.