Where your home is concerned, the first thing that probably comes to mind at the start of spring is spring cleaning. But what does spring cleaning really entail? For most, it likely means performing a much deeper clean of the home. However, although the word “cleaning” is in the phrase, cleaning isn’t the only thing we need to do this time of year – we also need to check in on our plumbing.
Below, we’ve listed out what we feel are the most important plumbing maintenance tasks you should perform this spring:
- Fix leaks. If your water bill has been going up, it isn’t for no reason; chances are you have a leak. If you’ve been putting off fixing leaky faucets or shower heads because they seem relatively minor, put it off no longer and use this time to have them repaired.
- Install drain strainers. One of the best ways to prevent clogged drains is to have drain strainers installed ready to stop things like soap scum and hair from making their way down your pipes. The harder it is for anything other than water to go down the drain, the better off you’ll be.
- Clean your yard drains and gutters. Your yard drains and gutters play a huge role in your home’s ability to divert water away, and if they are filled with debris, they won’t be able to do their job! If you want to avoid future water damage, you’ll want to really clean these out.
- Check your sump pump. If you have a basement at home, you need a working sump pump! If your sump pump is rather old, or if you’ve experienced problems with it recently, it’s time to have it checked to make sure it is still in good working order.
- Educate the family. Just because you know how to turn off your main water valve in the event of an emergency doesn’t mean that your whole family does. So, take some time to educate everyone in your home about what to do if you need to turn off the water quickly! It’s also helpful to educate the family on what to do in general in the event of a plumbing emergency so that everyone is prepared.
Let’s face it, your plumbing has a lot to do with your home’s success, and if you want to do what you can to avoid problems with it, you need to stay on top of your seasonal maintenance! For additional plumbing maintenance tips, or for plumbing service in Orange County, California, don’t hesitate to contact the Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter team at 714.630.8766.