If you’ve recently purchased a new home, congratulations! There’s nothing like walking into your home for the first time and getting settled with your family. Once you’ve unpacked and start to feel comfortable with your new surroundings, though, it’s your responsibility as a homeowner to learn a few things that will help ensure your stay is a successful one – starting with the plumbing.
Below, we’ve listed out a few of our favorite plumbing tips that all first time homeowners should know:
- Avoid using liquid drain cleaners to break up tough clogs. Yes, they can help solve the problem temporarily, but the chemicals within can harm pipes and cause a larger mess.
- Even if a product says it’s flushable, the only thing that should be flushed is toilet paper. Make sure everyone in your home is aware of this!
- If your pipes aren’t insulated, make insulating them the next task on your to-do list. Having the proper insulation around your pipes will help you prevent them from bursting when the temperatures drop!
- When cooking leaves you with grease or oil, don’t pour it down the drain. Instead, pour it into a container that you can freeze and then throw out.
- Should your basement floor seem damp, check on the state of your sump pump to make sure it’s still in good working order. If it’s not, have it repaired as soon as possible to prevent further water damage.
At Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter, we know that being a first time homeowner means a lot of new responsibilities – that’s why we’re here to take care of anything plumbing related for you! If you’ve just moved into one of our service areas and are looking for a plumber near you, we’d love to help! Just call 714.630.8766 and one of our technicians will be with you as soon as possible.