Are you struggling with hard water stains on surfaces such as your faucets or maybe even your dishes after they come out of the dishwasher? If you answered yes, you certainly aren’t alone! Many homeowners find themselves living in areas that have hard water, but today we’re here to deliver some good news – there are ways that you can get rid of those hard water stains and keep them from coming back.
What is hard water?
Before we get into how you can handle hard water stains, we first wanted to recap what hard water is. Put simply, water hardness is defined by the amount of dissolved magnesium and calcium in the water – hard water is extremely high in dissolved minerals such as these. If hard water runs throughout your home, the effects may include scratchy clothes, spotted dishes and even dull hair.
How to prevent hard water stains.
The easiest way to prevent hard water stains is to keep water away from the surfaces that you don’t want it to damage. Even when you think this is nearly impossible, if you take a few extra minutes every day to check up on this, it certainly is possible – here are a few things you can do:
- For your shower doors, use a squeegee to dry them after showering.
- For your faucets, gently dab them to dry things off after using the sink.
- For your windows, make sure that your sprinkler system isn’t being aimed at their surface.
How to remove hard water stains.
If hard water stains have already left their mark on your home, you’ll want to find a cleaner that is made from certain hard-water fighting chemicals. Some examples are:
- Acids, which have proven their ability to break down mineral deposits.
- Sequestrants, which are able to capture minerals so that they don’t have a chance to leave a stain.
- Alkalis, which work to suspend soil so that you can more easily rinse it away.
For the best results, our recommendation is to have your home’s water softened all together. Water softening works to reduce the minerals found in hard water by exchanging them with different ions, including potassium, sodium and hydrogen. Here at Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter, we can take care of this for you! Not only will you feel better knowing that you won’t have to fight hard water stains any longer, but you’ll also start to notice a difference in your plumbing system’s cleanliness and your appliances’ life spans!
To learn more about our water softening services, call 714.630.8766 today.