Unless you live somewhere that includes utility costs in your total monthly living expenses, chances are you’re receiving a separate bill each month for the amount of energy your home uses. During the summer, it isn’t unusual for homeowners to see a spike in costs – air conditioners, for example, require a ton of energy to operate! But we have good news…
If you change your habits just a little bit, you can save energy and ultimately work to lower your total costs – here’s how you can start:
- Install window coverings so that you can keep as much heat out of your home as possible – this is especially helpful for those windows and rooms that usually receive full sun for long periods of time.
- Set your thermostat as high as possible in the summer (without compromising your comfort, of course). When the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures isn’t much, you can lower your cooling bill!
- If you have ceiling fans, turn them on even when your air conditioner is running. Doing so can allow you to raise your thermostat (try a 4 degree increase at first) without feeling much of a difference in total comfort.
- Avoid using your oven on super hot days. Since the heat your oven produces can make your house hotter, your air conditioner has to work harder and use more energy under these circumstances.
- Check all windows and doors for cracks that are letting hot air in. If any are present, take the necessary steps to seal them.
- Change or clean your air conditioner’s filters at least once a month. Having a dirty filter is all it takes to make your air conditioner start to work harder to keep you cool.
- Adjust the temperature on your water heater to be set on the warm setting.
Do you have other strategies that you use to save energy in your home? If so, be sure to share them with us on our social media profiles!
Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter is Orange County’s team of trusted plumbers that provides fast, same day plumbing service to customers in Anaheim, Fullerton, Irvine, Orange, Placentia, and the surrounding California areas. With a team of safe, licensed plumbers who are available around the clock, Barker and Sons is the answer to all of your plumbing needs. For more information about the plumbing services offered, please call 714.630.8766 today.