Earlier this week, we shared some of the top home maintenance tips that all homeowners should be working on as we welcome the start of summer. But we couldn’t just finish our thoughts on home tips for summer there – now it’s time to get plumbing specific!
After you schedule an appointment to have your drains cleaned (like we concluded with in our blog earlier this week), make sure you take care of the following:
- Lower the temperature on your water heater. With summer temperatures upon us, there’s not too much of a need for extra hot water – chances are you’re going to prefer cold water for your showers (for example) anyway!
- If your home has a sump pump (which it definitely should here in Orange County!), test it to make sure it’s working properly in case of an unexpected summer storm.
- When watering your lawn or garden by hand, check your hose for signs of leaks and, if any are evident, have them repaired right away.
- If you’re using an in-ground sprinkler system, set up a timer to properly monitor how long it should be on for so that you don’t get into the habit of wasting water.
- Especially if you’ll be taking a vacation this summer, locate the main shut-off valve for your water as well as the individual shut off valves for each appliance so that you’re prepared to cut off the water supply when you leave.
All of us at Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter want you to enjoy your summer to its fullest potential, so if a plumbing problem should disrupt your home at any point, know that you can count on us 24/7 to come and address the situation! Just call 714.630.8766 to let us know what’s going on – we’ll send someone out to you as soon as we can!