Prior to the start of summer, we shared our top summer home maintenance tips so that you could get your Orange County home ready for the season. How many of those tasks have you completed? Since we know that work, vacations, and other summer activities can result in a pretty busy schedule, we’re here today to check in on your progress and offer a reminder for what you should make time to do if it hasn’t been done already – keep reading for our mid-summer home maintenance checklist.
- Especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors at night, check your lighting and outdoor outlets and electrical chords to make sure nothing has been damaged by the weather. If you notice signs of trouble, contact a professional electrician – don’t DIY!
- Check your washing machine and its hoses for signs of wear and tear. With children out of school and more things to wash (especially towels and bathing suits), your washing machine may be being used more than usual during this time of year.
- Inspect your sprinkler system and garden hoses for obvious leaks or signs that a leak is about to form. Although we usually think of leaks as stemming from the pipes within our home, they are definitely possible outdoors too.
- Clean and/or change the air filter in your air conditioner. Even if you just did this at the start of summer, things can get dirty fast and you must keep on top of it for your A/C to continue to perform properly.
- Take a look at your shower drains and see if you notice the water moving slower than usual. With summer temperatures upon us, you and your family members may be taking more cold showers, which means more of an opportunity for hair to get caught in your drain. When this happens, contact us for help!
Although home maintenance may take away from the free time you have to enjoy the summer season, remember that by dedicating yourself to keeping your home in tip-top shape, you can be preventing the need for costly repairs along the way! If as you go about your maintenance you notice any leaks, drain problems, or other plumbing concerns, contact the team here at Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter at 714.630.8766. We’re available seven days a week, 24 hours a day, to help with any and all of your plumbing needs!