We all have our own routines that we follow when cleaning our home, but have you ever stopped to ask yourself if what you’re doing is really effective? Earlier this week, we shared a few ways that you’re cleaning your bathroom wrong, and we think it’s important to share that your bathroom isn’t the only room that may need a little work – today, it’s time to focus on the kitchen.
Regardless of how spotless your kitchen may look after you spend some time cleaning, there’s a good chance that you may be missing a few things or cleaning things incorrectly. If you’re doing any of these, you’ll want to rethink your cleaning routine:
- You’re forgetting about handles and knobs.
- You’re not paying any attention to your garbage disposal.
- You put sharp knives in the dishwasher with the rest of your silverware.
- You only clean your oven using the self cleaner.
- You don’t spend enough time on the sink.
Any of the above apply to you? If so, here’s how to fix things:
- Fridge handles and cabinet knobs are touched over and over every day, making them a good breeding ground for germs. In addition to wiping them off when you clean your kitchen in its entirety, you may also want to wipe them down every night to keep as many germs away as possible.
- Even if you don’t use your garbage disposal often, you should still take the time to freshen it up when you clean. To do so, you can start by putting white vinegar and ice cubes down it – this will get rid of nasty odors in no time!
- Dishwashers make our lives a lot easier, but it’s important to realize that not all of our silverware and other kitchen accessories are dishwasher safe. If you have sharp knives with wooden handles, take the time to hand wash these yourself – it’ll help them last longer!
- Self-cleaners are a huge, huge help when it comes to maintaining your oven, but you shouldn’t solely rely on them to keep things clean. In fact, some self-cleaners can potentially harm your oven! That said, try cleaning the inside of your oven using an all-purpose cleaner – spray at night, then let it sit until the morning!
- Did you know that your kitchen sink may hold more E. coli than a toilet after it’s been flushed? Total yuck! Knowing this, you want to make sure you spend enough time cleaning the sink to get rid of all dirt and germs. For the best results, use mild soap and warm water!
Be honest – how many of these cleaning no-nos are you guilty of? The next time you clean your kitchen, make sure you keep this information in mind!
Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter provides plumbing services to customers in Orange County, California. Staffed with a team of licensed plumbers, Barker and Sons is the answer to all of your plumbing needs. To learn more, call 714.630.8766.