For most (if not all) folks, saving money is right up there with making it! We make money to be able to afford our homes and the amenities in them, like electricity, heat and water. So what if we told you there was a way to save some extra dough on those utility costs, namely your water heating bill? Well, there is. In fact, there’s quite a few!
- Opt-in for showers, and out for baths. It might be tempting to dive right into a steaming hot bath after a hard day’s work, but try to save spa days for a special treat instead. Taking short, warm (not hot!) showers can reduce your energy and water bills significantly.
- Turn it on, and off, and on again. While you’re at it, changing your daily shower routine and all, see if you can stand to turn off the water while soaping up. The same goes for brushing your teeth and washing your face! Don’t let the warm water run, unless you’re using it.
- Dial down that thermostat. Your water heater doesn’t need to be blistering hot. Turning the thermostat down to 120-degrees will provide more than enough heat to keep you toasty while you shower. Consider this – for every 10-degree reduction, you can save 3-4% on your water heating costs.
- Keep your laundry cool. No, we don’t mean you need to go out and buy a hip-and-happening new outfit. Rather, we’re suggesting you wash all your loads on cold, regardless of the color. Trust us, your shirts and socks won’t miss the warmth.
- Find and fix those sneaky leaks. As you can imagine, anywhere that a leak is present you’re losing precious water – and precious warm water if you’ve got the faucet set to “hot.” In fact, the American Water Works’ drip calculator estimates that a leak that results in 60 drips per minute wastes “8.64 gallons per day, 259 gallons per month, and just over 3,153 gallons per year.”
When push comes to shove, the best way to save water is by making sure it stays right where it belongs, in your plumbing – until needed of course! If you could you’ve got some leaks that could use fixing, or a water heater that could stand a tune-up, Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter is the only name you need to know.
To learn more about our pipe leak detection and repairs, slab leak repairs, and water heater tune-ups, dial 714-630-8766 today.