Drain clogs are an unfortunate fact of life, but many times they can be avoided with proper caution and plumbing care. While we certainly love helping folks fix their plumbing issues, we know you’d probably rather steer clear of them all together. So, the next time you think about flushing any of these items down the toilet, just say no:
- Baby Wipes: We know the package screams “flushable,” but don’t even think about it! Though some may, in fact, be biodegradable, the time it takes to break down those fibers can vary. That means, if one gets caught up in your plumbing, you’ll undoubtedly be dealing with a clog in the near future.
- Cotton Balls: Contrary to popular belief, these soft balls of fluff do not break apart over time. Instead, they band together with their comrades, causing an inevitable clog.
- Paper Towels: It’s just paper, and toilet paper is okay to flush, right? Wrong! Paper towels are made to absorb water and withstand breakage, which makes them resistant to degrading when flushed
- Dental Floss: You might feel like that tiny, 5-inch long string is insignificant, but think about that damage it can cause if it becomes wrapped around objects in the pipeline during its descent. Not only that, but most dental floss is made from plastic, and therefore isn’t biodegradable.
- Sanitary Products: Much like baby wipes, many of these feminine products are labeled as “flushable,” but don’t believe the lies! These products were made to absorb, not disintegrate, which makes them very likely to cause a blockage.
- Fats, Oils & Grease: You know you can’t pour these down the kitchen drain or disposal, so instead you turn to your toilet – but please don’t! Once these substances cool and harden, they can adhere to the inside of your plumbing, making it more difficult for waterflow to continue without a clog.
- Medication: While this won’t necessarily cause a clog, it can cause groundwater contamination. We know you might be in a spring cleaning frenzy soon enough, but instead of flushing your unused medications, speak with your local pharmacist to find out how you can dispose of them safely.
While avoiding these key clog-causers can significantly reduce the chances of encountering a plugged up toilet, there’s no guarantee that one won’t occur down the line. For that reason, Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter is available 24/7/365 to handle any plumbing issue you should encounter! Just call 714-630-8766 for same day, emergency service.