Spring is in the air! Time to start crossing items off that seasonal to-do list and help your home’s plumbing reemerge for the season, refreshed and rejuvenated. Here are a few ways we suggest you start to tackle the task:
- Search for leaks. Dripping faucets and cracked pipes can wreak havoc on your home and cause unnecessary spikes on your water bill. For that reason, make sure leak detection and repair is top of mind as you spring to seasonal maintenance.
- Clean and replace drain screens. Hair gets everywhere, especially in the shower. That’s why it’s so important to have clean, functional drain screens to catch hair, soap, and debris before it clogs up your pipes and requires professional drain cleaning.
- Listen for running water. If your toilet tank seems to run constantly unless you jiggle the handle, you may need to replace some worn parts. Fortunately, this is usually an inexpensive fix that also yields water savings — win-win!
- Flush your water heater. As time goes on, sediment can build up in your tank, which reduces heating efficiency and shortens your water heater’s lifespan. Draining a few gallons of water each spring can help flush out some of that sediment.
- Test the sump pump. Pour a few buckets of water into your sump pump basin to be sure it kicks on properly. That way, in the event of a flood you’ll know you’re covered! (While you’re at it, you may want to check out our sump pump maintenance checklist as well.)
- Have a camera inspection. The best way to know what’s really going on deep down in your plumbing is to have a look. This can easily be done with a visual camera inspection by a professional plumbing company. It’s minimally invasive, and extremely effective to both prevent and diagnose plumbing problems.
Has it been awhile since you had your plumbing inspected by a professional? Perhaps there are some red flags that something may have gone awry. Whatever the case may be, if you live in Orange County, CA or the surrounding area, Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter is the only name you need to know!
Explore our website to see some of the residential and commercial plumbing services we offer, or feel free to contact us online or by phone at 714-630-8766. Don’t forget to inquire about our same day, emergency plumbing service!