Whether you’re new to home-owning, or just haven’t gotten around to stocking up on the basics quite yet, it’s important to build your own DIY toolbox ASAP! That way, should a plumbing, electrical, or minor issue like an un-hung shelf or painting arise, you’ll be prepared to tackle it head on. Today, we’re going to tell you some of the most important items to include in your DIY toolbox, especially those that pertain to diagnosing and correcting minor plumbing problems before calling in the pros.
First, the basics…
Every home toolkit should be well equipped with a hammer, a philips head screwdriver, a flathead screwdriver and a ratchet set. These tools alone are instrumental in completing a variety of home improvement projects. Beyond that, you may want to stash a box of nails and a box of screws, as well as a level, tape measure and a set of needle-nose pliers. If you’re really looking to go big or go home, purchase a power drill to make fixing and building even easier on you!
Now, onto the plumbing essentials…
- Plunger – We’d be remiss if we didn’t add this trusty plumbing tool to your kit. Let’s face it, clogged sinks and toilets do happen, no matter how hard we try to avoid them.
- Adjustable Curved-Jaw Pliers – It can be hard to get into those tight spaces under the sink to tighten up a leaky pipe, or even to get a good grip in a small space while working on a leaky faucet. These handy pliers will do the trick!
- Basin Wrench – Again, get to those hard-to-reach places with ease! You should also invest in a pipe wrench and an all-around adjustable wrench to complete the set.
- Extra Washers & O-Rings – These are the pieces that wear out the most easily on your fixtures. Having a few properly sized extras around when you need them can make repairing super simple.
- Plumber’s Tape – This is an excellent addition to help seal the threads of your plumbing fixtures once they’re put together. It can help keep fittings secure and leak-free for longer.
- Plumber’s Putty – Like your tape, putty will help you create a water-resistant seal on un-pressured joints like sink drains.
Remember, this is just a basic starter kit! With plumbing problems come great responsibilities — ones that should truly be handled by a professional whenever possible. If the solution to your plumbing issue goes beyond the standard twisting and tightening, your best best is for call your local plumbing company to take a look. That way, you can be sure the job is handled right from the start.
Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter is a family owned and operated business that serves Orange County, California. Plumbing services are available 24/7, and a member of the team will personally answer all calls. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact us today at 714-630-8766.