We’ve come a LONG way since the outhouse. Nowadays, your bathroom should be one of the most tranquil rooms in your home, but renovating it can be difficult and expensive. That’s why we’re here to provide some rules to live by when it comes to designing your dream bathroom.
- Be Timeless, Not Trendy: Choose neutral but classic colors and fixtures for a timeless look. You don’t want to be renovating your bathroom every five years to keep up with the times.
- Work With the Space You Have: You may WANT a separate bathtub and shower, along with double sinks, a toilet, and a bidet, but it’s important to work with the space you have. Don’t clutter the room with fixtures you don’t necessarily need. Focus on the must haves.
- Opt for Flush Fixtures: That pedestal sink and clawfoot tub you have your heart set on may look gorgeous, but you’ll change your tune when it comes time to clean it. Flush and fitted toilets, bathtubs, and vanities are easier to maintain over time.
- Don’t Neglect Lighting: Downlights and overhead lighting are ideal in the bathroom. In addition, if you’re installing a full vanity, add some wall-mounted lights. (Pro Tip: If you can afford it and have the space, opt for a skylight or large window. Nothing beats natural light.)
- Use Mildew-Resistant Paint: When choosing the paint for your fortress of solitude, bare in mind, long showers and bath sessions create quite a bit of steam. Be sure to only consider mildew resistant paint.
- Install Heat and Ventilation: Sure, opening a window is a great way to air out the room after a long bath, but to avoid mold remember to add an extra ventilation system. A heat and ventilation light should do the trick AND keep you warm on cold evenings.
- Finish the Space with Accessories: Scented candles, plants, cushy bath mats, and fluffy towels add character and charm to your newly renovated bathroom. Be sure to put thought into finishing off the space and get ready to relax.
When in doubt just think — “What would Joanna Gaines do?”
Are you in the market for new bathroom fixtures? Consult with our experts to make sure your plumbing is in perfect condition beforehand! We’ll even handle your toilet, sink, bathtub, and shower installation from start to finish.
Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter is a full-service plumbing installation and repair company serving all of Orange County, CA and beyond. Our number one goal is to provide affordable, comprehensive, and solution-oriented plumbing services to our customers — and that’s exactly what we’ve done for the past 30 years and counting! For more information, call us at 714-630-8766 today.