Unfortunately, for many homeowners, plumbing maintenance falls into the “out of sight, out of mind” category, until it’s too late. Don’t fall victim to pesky drain clogs that could have easily been avoided! Remember to keep your kitchen sink maintained and you’ll be much less likely to suffer a dreaded drain clog down the line.
5 Tips to Avoid Kitchen Sink Clogs
- Wipe down the sink. Done cleaning the dishes (which we know you scraped clean first)? Grab a paper towel and give it a good wipe down. That way, you can pick up and leftover food particles and save them from getting lodged down the drain later on.
- Clean out strainers. Strainers, work to keep clog-causing food particles out of your drain — but, they’ll only do a good job if you keep them clean! Strainers should be cleaned daily at the very least, and ideally, after each sink use.
- Boil a pot of water. Not to make pasta — though, that does sound tasty — but to use as a tool to melt away build up grease and grime. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and carefully pour it down your sink’s drain. Do this a few times for best results.
- Snake your drain. If you notice your kitchen sink has been draining slowly, it may be time to pull out your trusty snake. Simply insert the snake into the drain and crank it to loosen and remove any clogs caused by rogue food bits.
- Say no to Drain-O. We know it can be tempting, but don’t you do it! The chemicals in drain cleaning products, like Drain-O, can actually end up doing more harm than good. They may successfully clear the clog, but they’ve been known to corrode and eat through pipes, too.
Remember, performing all of the above won’t prevent a clog or plumbing problem entirely, it will just help you reduce the risk of dealing with them. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, a clogged kitchen sink will still strike! That’s where Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter comes in!
We’re available 24/7/365 and will personally answer all calls when you need us, so never hesitate to pick up the phone and dial 714-630-8766!