There are few things worse than a clogged drain – especially when it occurs during the holidays. Fortunately, there are a few simple DIY methods to nip a clog in the bud before it becomes an even bigger plumbing problem.
Method #1: Baking Soda & Vinegar
- Boil a pot of water, and slowly pour the hot water down your drain. Make sure to leave about one cup boiled water behind.
- Add ⅓ cup of baking soda down the drain immediately after, allowing it to sit for five minutes.
- Mix one cup vinegar into the remaining cup of boiling water and pour the mixture down the drain. If it fizzes, it’s working! Allow it to sit for another 20 minutes and boil another pot of water
- Finally, flush the mixture down with the second pot of boiling water, and your clog should disappear.
Method #2: Wire Hanger
It doesn’t get much more simple than this! All you need is a wire hanger and a clogged shower drain – and we bet if you’re reading this, you probably have both. All you have to do is unwind the neck of the hanger, straightening out all but the hook itself. Lower your new tool down into the drain until you feel some resistance – that’s the clog. Push and pull the hanger up and down a few times before pulling it up and out completely. If you did the job right, you should pull out a pretty icky looking clump of hair, but your drain will be clean and clear.
Method #3: The Toilet Bomb
You now have a way to fix a sink and shower clog, but what about the toilet? Don’t panic yet! With just a few simple ingredients – 2 cups baking soda, ¼ cup epsom salt and 9 tablespoons liquid dish detergent – you can make clog fighting toilet bombs to battle stubborn clogs now, and in the future. Here’s what you need to do:
- Grab a muffin tin and line it with muffin liners.
- Mix the baking soda and epsom salt together in a bowl and slowly stir in the detergent, one tablespoon at a time.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin liners and allow it to dry up overnight.
- When you have a clog, remove a bomb from its liner and place it in your toilet, along with five cups of hot water.
- Allow it to sit for four hours, then flush away your clog!
Have you tried all three DIY methods, but nothing seems to work? Sounds like a job for a professional! Fortunately, if you live in Orange County, CA or the surrounding areas, Barker and Sons Plumbing & Rooter is available to assist with plumbing emergencies 24/7/365. Just dial 714-630-8766 to speak with a representative today.