Signs of Sewer Gas in Your Home

Hydrogen sulfide is a toxic component of sewer gas which can form as a result of decay or sewage. While sewer gas is a complex mixture of toxic and non-toxic gases, even low-levels of hydrogen sulfide in your home can be dangerous and pose health risks.

Image Courtesy of stockimages/

Lengthy exposure to this gas can cause side-effects such as the following:

  • headaches
  • fatigue
  • sinus infections
  • bronchitis
  • dizziness
  • nervousness
  • nausea

What causes such gas to appear? The existence of sewer gas is a result of problems (ranging from big to small) within your plumbing. Often, a broken sewer or vent stack stops the proper ventilation of hydrogen sulfide up and out through the roof. People can also be exposed to sewer gas in many other ways.

Regardless of the cause, low-levels can be detected based on a foul smell similar to that of rotten eggs. High-levels can cause serious health risks. Therefore, evacuate your home immediately at the sign of sewer gas and call your plumber for assistance.

Read more information here.