We’ve given you the rundown on the immediate steps to take if you find a gas leak in your home. To ensure you are a gas leak expert, we want to leave you with a few more quick pointers.
General Natural Gas Safety Tips
- Set the temperature on your gas water heater according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. Maximum temperatures are typically between 110 and 120 degrees.
- If your washing machine uses gas, check the lint trap and dryer vent regularly to make sure both are completely clear with no blockage.
- Install and maintain a carbon monoxide alarm.
- Keep flammable liquids and combustible materials away from gas appliances.
- Never attempt to reroute, repair, or shut off a natural gas line yourself. Call a professional. We handle a full range of gas leak services.
- Always call 811 before you dig or build around and within your property. It is important to know if the structure you are looking to fix or build is on top of a gas line.
- Avoid hanging clothes or other items from gas pipes at all times.
- In the case of an earthquake or other natural disaster, make sure to check your home for an odor. Barker and sons can install an earthquake shut off valve to prevent the issue of gas leaks in such events.
For more information on natural gas leaks visit Angie’s List.
At Barker & Sons, your safety is our first concern. You can trust our experienced gas professionals to safely install or repair your gas lines, leaving nothing but happiness in your home. Follow us on Twitter for more safety tips and plumbing information.