Slow draining sink? We’ve all been there at one point or another. Fortunately, this common home plumbing problem is usually an easy fix. If you find yourself with a clogged drain, follow these steps before giving us a call.
Method #1: Unclog the Sink with a Plunger
- Fill your sink with hot water.
- Put your plunger into the water and over your sink drain.
- Plunge up and down quickly and see if the water in the sink starts to drain.
Method #2: Create a Baking Soda & Vinegar Mixture
- Pour one cup of vinegar and one cup of baking soda down the kitchen sink.
- Wait a few minutes to let the solution work through the clog.
- Pour 4 cups of boiling water down the sink and see if the water goes down as it should.
Method #3: Utilizing a Cable Auger
- Turn off the water running to your sink.
- Place a bucket underneath the kitchen sink. Then, detach the curved pipe below the sink and empty the water from the trap into the bucket below the sink.
- Check the pipe for any clogs — if there is nothing in the trap, use your cable auger to push it into the pipe until you meet resistance. After you meet resistance. Crank the handle and push forward into the pipe. Continue cranking until you catch onto the clog.
Method #4: Use a Wire Hanger as an Auger
- Don’t have a cable auger at home? Grab a bent wire hanger and straighten it out the best that you can. Create a small hook on one end.
- Put the wire hanger down your drain and start “fishing.”
- Remember to pull the gunk out, not press it down further.
If the DIY route doesn’t work, our trusted professionals here at Barker & Sons Plumbing and Rooter are here to help you clear your drain line. Give us a call or visit our website to learn more about our drain cleaning and clearing services.